Home

About Kirby's Healthy Cooking


Welcome! My name is Kirby Miller and I am a home chef, self taught cook, lover of reading food blogs and cookbooks, teacher of in home healthy cooking classes, and a writer of my own healthy recipes. Along with this I am also a wife to a wonderful husband, a mom of two dogs, and a Kindergarten teacher!


Saturday, February 9, 2013

Kale Salad

This is seriously my new favorite food! I have had kale salad before but, never actually made it! I looked at tons of recipes and decided to make my own that would fit to my likings and what I had on hand. I liked this salad so much that I made it twice in one week!

Mike isn't into the artichoke hearts and tomatoes like I am so I made his some grilled chicken. 
 

 
Kale Salad


Ingredients:
4-5 cups washed and cut kale
½ honey roasted pecans
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 can artichoke hearts
¾ cup cherry tomatoes
2 tablespoons hemp seeds
grated parmesan cheese

Dressing:
1 tbsp good extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
½ tbsp honey Dijon mustard
1 small or ½ large lemon, juiced
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
dash of salt and pepper



Directions:
Rinse, dry, and finely chop or tear the kale, not including the stems. Place the kale in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk all of the dressing ingredients together. Pour the dressing over the kale and massage the kale for about 1 minute. Place the bowl in the refrigerator while you are working on prepping the rest of the ingredients. A good 20 minutes will give the kale a nice flavor and texture.

Meanwhile, drain the artichoke hearts and chop into bite size pieces. Rinse the tomatoes and cut into fourths. Then chop the pecans.

After 20 minutes, take the kale out of the fridge and mix in the pecans, cranberries, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, and hemp seeds.

Serve and top with parmesan cheese.

No comments: