Home

About Kirby's Healthy Cooking


Welcome! My name is Kirby Miller and I am a home chef, self taught cook, lover of reading food blogs and cookbooks, teacher of in home healthy cooking classes, and a writer of my own healthy recipes. Along with this I am also a wife to a wonderful husband, a mom of two dogs, and a Kindergarten teacher!


Monday, April 30, 2012

7 Layer Greek Dip


Seven Layer Greek Dip



I invited a friend over one night last week for wine and dinner not realizing that I did not have any wine or food to make. I quickly thought on the spot of what to make.. I was really craving Greek food but wasn't sure of one thing I wanted. I thought of all the Greek food I like and decided to throw it all together and serve with some yummy warm pita bread. I actually didn't even realize it was a "7 layer dip" until my husband asked me what I called this and we started counting the layers. I definitely will be making this again! I usually make my own hummus but, since I was in a time crunch I used store-bought. I served this and some sausage, cheese, and tortilla wraps. 

 

 Now for the recipe:

 

 

Layers:
1.    Hummus (either homemade or store bought)
2.    Cilantro Walnut Pesto (recipe below)
3.    Cucumbers – sliced ¼ inch thin and then into 6ths
4.    Kalamata olives – sliced
5.    Roasted tomatoes (Drizzle grape tomatoes with extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in oven at 225 degrees for an hour and 15 minutes)
6.    Toasted Pine nuts (toast in saucepan on stove on low heat, stir every two minutes, should only take about 5 minutes to toast)
7.    Crumbled Reduced Fat Feta Cheese


Cilantro Walnut Pesto:
-       2 garlic cloves
-       4 tablespoons lemon juice
-       1/3 cup walnuts
-       1 bunch cilantro – coarse stems removed
-       1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
-       Salt and pepper to taste
Place the walnuts and garlic in food processor. Process until smooth.  Add lemon juice. Add cilantro ½ cup at a time. While the cilantro is processing, add in the oil and season with salt and pepper. Make sure to pulse the mixture until smooth.

Layer all the ingredients on a large platter starting with #1 and ending with #7.
Serve with warm pita bread.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Came out perfect. Could be great for a party or a full meal! Glad we came up with a cute name for it too.

Tricia said...

What night do you want me to come over????? Looks wonderful.

Jo said...

Kirbs, this was amazing! Now that i have the recipe, maybe I'll whip it up or just convince you to make it for me again ;)